I’ve been dreaming about lampshades lately. I have a stack of thrift shop shades sitting in my craft room just waiting to be upcycled to a new life. This one is made from the hem of a thrift shop sundress. The moment I spotted it, with the cute embroidered hem, I knew it would have to take on a new life as a lampshade. I was so excited to get started that I forgot to take a picture of the dress. Oops!
• First I stripped off the fabric on the old shade. The lining on this one was in good condition, so I left it intact.
• I cut the hem of the dress to fit the bottom of the flared shade, then stitched it into a tube.
• Next I stretched some elastic across the top edge and stitched it on. You could also use a gathering stitch to do this part.
• I glued the top edge to the top of the frame of the shade.
• I was going to sew the ribbon trim on to the very top but decided to place it a little below the top for a cute look and it also gave it a little more stability.
I love my new upcycled lampshade!